Happy Holidays from the Portus staff!
The December Portal is finally here and all the fanfare for our sixth issue is certainly worth it. Not only is this edition overflowing with updates and announcements, but we have some magical gifts for you as well!
The Twelve Days of Christmas is an old tradition reaching back to the Middle Ages. Originally a religious custom, the festival has seen many variations over the years in countries all over the world.
Starting December 25, 2007, the Portus staff is excited to bring you our variation of the festival: the Twelve Days of Portus Giveaways! On each day we will be offering registrations at a discounted holiday rate for all as well as prizes for the first registrant(s) of each day.
On behalf of Portus, we wish you all a safe and joyous holiday season!
Aziza Aba Butain
Register for Portus between 12:00 AM EST on December 25, 2007 and 11:59 PM EST on January 5, 2008, and you will be eligible for the special holiday rate of $180 for basic registration. Use the coupon code PRESENTS before making your payment.
In addition to the holiday rate, Portus will award special gift giveaways to the first registrant(s) each day. How many people will receive these special gifts? That all depends on which of the Twelve Days of Portus you register on. On Day One, we will award one Buddy Registration to the first person to register. Then on Day Two, we will give away two single day Keynote Luncheon tickets, one to each of the first two persons to register. Day three continues with three single day Afternoon Tea tickets, one to each of the first three persons registering that day, and so on. The total number of giveaways and winners will match the number of day it is. Each winner will receive only one giveaway. Remember, these giveaways are only for the first registrant(s) each day of the promotion.
The winning registrant(s) on each day will receive:
Day One: December 25, 2007 - One Buddy Registration (1)
Day Two: December 26, 2007 - Two Keynote Luncheons (2)
Day Three: December 27, 2007 - Three Afternoon Teas (3)
Day Four: December 28, 2007 - Four Harry Potter Christmas Ornaments (4)
Day Five: December 29, 2007 - Five Moaning Myrtles Albums (5)
Day Six: December 30, 2007 - Six Mudbloods Albums (6)
Day Seven: December 31, 2007 - Seven Hilton Anatole Restaurant Vouchers (7)
Day 8: January 1, 2008 - Eight Mystery Prizes (8)
Day 9: January 2, 2008 - Nine Magic Wands (9)
Day 10: January 3, 2008 - Ten Lumos Audio Proceedings DVD-Roms (10)
Day 11: January 4, 2008 - Eleven Ball tickets (11)
Day 12: January 5, 2008 - Twelve Limited Edition Portus T-shirts (12)
1. Each day’s giveaway begins at 12:00 AM EST, as measured by the Portus Registration System and will end when the designated number of giveaways are gone. There are a limited number of giveaways available for each day.
2. Only the purchase of a basic registration will qualify the buyer for a giveaway. Modifications to existing registrations or the purchase of Day Passes will not qualify for receipt of a giveaway.
3. Promotional Giveaways will be available for pickup at Portus beginning on July 10, 2008, and must be retrieved no later than 2:00 PM CST on July 13, 2008. Failure to claim the giveaway by this time will result in forfeiture.
4. Giveaways are non-transferable. Requesting a refund of your registration will result in forfeiture of the giveaway.
5. Winners will be notified by email no later than January 10, 2008.
6. The winner of the Buddy Registration must inform Portus Public Relations of the recipient of the Buddy Registration no later than January 31, 2008.
7. Portus Public Relations will contact recipients of Keynote Luncheon or Afternoon Tea tickets. Winners must select either Friday or Saturday and inform Portus Public Relations of their choice no later than January 31, 2008.
‘Tis the season for giving! Don’t know what to get your favorite Harry Potter fan for the holidays? How about a registration for Portus!
Register by January 31st, 2008 to take advantage of our $220.00 registration price before the increase on February 1st, 2008. If you’re feeling particularly festive, be sure to check out the Twelve Days of Portus Giveaways for our holiday discount and daily giveaways.
Remember, we offer registrations at a discounted rate for presenters whose proposals have been accepted. Submit a proposal today. Check out our Call for Proposals page.
Snapefest Registration Reminder
Attention all Snapefest fans!
Registration for Snapefest will open January 9t at 8 PM EST. You must be registered for Portus and have your confirmation number in order to register for this special event. To add Snapefest or another ticketed event, you will need to modify your basic registration.
To modify your registration:
- Visit our registration page and click "Register Now."
- You will need to supply your first name, last name, and the email address under which you registered. The system should recognize that you are already registered and direct you to the Summary Page.
- Select "Modify" under the “My Registration” section, and enter your registration confirmation number. (If you can't remember or have misplaced it, you can ask to have it emailed to you.) This will take you to your personal information page.
- Make any necessary changes to your registration on the first page of your registration details, then click "Next".
- When prompted, enter your credit card details to pay for any extra items and then click "Finish" to update your registration. If registering for Snapefest registration is available at no additional charge.
By Jenn Clack
Great news. Due to popular demand, we have extended our submission deadline to January 21, 2008. This should allow everyone to enjoy the holiday season without the stress of a New Year’s deadline. If you have already finished your proposal, our vetting committees are ready for you to send it in. We have received so many wonderful entries and hope to add yours. Email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight (CST) January 21, 2008.
Here are some more programming ideas to help get your imagination going.
Department of International Magical Cooperation
- Writing Americans into fanfiction – Pros and Cons
- Translating fanfiction into other languages
- Investigating the fanfiction community in non-English speaking countries
Department of Magical Law Enforcement
- What kind of Department Head is Harry? How do you think the Auror office runs with Harry in charge?
- Do you think the emergence of another powerful Dark Wizard is inevitable? Will it happen in Harry Potter’s lifetime?
- Misuse of Muggle Artifacts: Did Arthur go back? Could he stay away from Muggles for long?
Committee On Experimental Charms
- Workshop: How to create original charms and spells for fanfiction.
- Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes: The genius of Fred & George’s inventions
All of us in Formal Programming wish you a magical holiday season. See you in July!
By Angie Haklar
Calling all artists!
Portus has opened our doors for artwork submissions. Imagine your work on display in our Art Gallery with the beautiful city of Dallas, Texas as a backdrop. We are excited to see the unique creations artists like you will contribute to make Portus an event to remember.
Entrants may submit up to four pieces per person or collaborative group. While attendance is encouraged, those not present are still able to feature their work in our gallery. We encourage artists to use their imagination to create interesting and unique pieces that compliment our theme, "When One Door Closes, Another One Opens."
Entries may now be submitted to the Portus Art Gallery. Our submission deadline is 12:00 AM CST on May 15, 2008. For details, rules, and submission guidelines, please visit our Art Gallery page here. Email any questions to email@example.com.
Save your galleons, sickles, and knuts for the Portus Vendor Room! Current participants include Haunted Housewares and there’s room for more!
The booth tables are 6ft (183 cm) long by 2.5 ft (76 cm) wide. Through December 31, 2007, each booth space will cost only $250. On January 1, 2008, the rate will inrease to $350. This will be the rate through June 30, 2008. A limited number of booths are available. You are welcome to bring your own display stands.
For more information, please visit our Vendor Room page.
Announcing Edmund Kern: One of our Featured Presenters for Portus
Mr. Kern has spoken at several Harry Potter events including Nimbus 2003, Accio 2005, and Lumos 2006. Some of you may remember Mr. Kern from his memorable “Snape’s Eyes” presentation at Lumos. We are delighted Mr. Kern will be a part of Portus’s programming and will present the following topics:
Fate, Free Will, and Harry Potter's Postmodern Popularity
"King's Cross": Does Dumbledore Tell Harry Anything He Doesn't Already Know?
Edmund M. Kern is the author of The Wisdom of Harry Potter: What Our Favorite Hero Teaches Us About Moral Choices and the editorial published in The Chronicle of Higher Education as “Harry Potter, Stoic Boy Wonder.” As a contributing essayist to Readings on J. K. Rowling, The Witchcraft Reader, and Infinite Boundaries, he has also served as a media consultant on witchcraft and witch-hunting, historical and modern paganism, and the roots of both Halloween and Harry Potter. Professor Kern received his Ph.D. in Early Modern European History from the University of Minnesota. He is currently Chair of the Department of History at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin, where he has taught since 1992.
Podcast Palooza Update
It’s only been one month since our Call for Podcasts and the response has been overwhelming. Already our Palooza is packed with your favorite podcasts:
Spinnerscast • Alleycast • Fandom Forecast • Mugglecast • Snapecast
Speaking of podcasts, be sure to check out the December Edition of the Portus Previews available for download soon on iTunes or through our website here. This month features a fun interview with one of our featured Wizard Rock bands, The Moaning Myrtles.
By Bekki Olivieri
I first met Heim during Prophecy, where she immediately jumped in to help at the HPEF table in the Vendor Room. Except for those times when she volunteered to run items from one floor to another, I imagine that she spent far many more hours at that table than she ever expected to. Heim was an incredible asset during Prophecy, eager and willing to help however she was needed. It only took marginal arm-twisting from my end to convince her to serve as the Assistant to the Minster of Magic. Since then, she's been a wonderful source of support for me and the rest of the Portus organizers.
Born and raised in Sacramento, Heim currently attends UC Davis, where she is majoring in electrical engineering. She has her best friend Kristen to thank for her involvement in fandom.
Want to learn how YOU can help us create the magic of Portus? Visit our Volunteer page for more information!
If you have questions or comments concerning the Call for Proposals, programming, etc., please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions or comments about The Portal or the Portus Previews, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.